Saturday, April 7, 2012

Lemon Cupcakes

These lemon cupcakes are amazing. I think they are probably the best cupcake recipe that I have.
The batter is thick, the icing smooths out perfectly and they have a fantastically intense lemon flavour.
I don't have any great pictures of them yet, but I will re-post this later on with better pictures!

These are my little beauties rising perfectly in the oven!


Recipe:
Cupcake
- 125g butter
- 125g caster sugar
- Zest of half a lemon
- 2 eggs
- 150g self-raising flour (or 150g all-purpose flour plus 1 tsp baking powder)

Icing
- 75g butter
- 125g icing sugar
- Zest of half a lemon
- 2 tsp lemon juice (or to taste)

1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Line a muffin tray with 12 cupcake cases.
2. Cream the butter for as long as you can. I whipped my butter in a mixer, which made my cakes really light, but you don't have to do that, they will still turn out great!
3. Add the sugar and lemon zest, mix.
4. Beat in the eggs one at a time.
5. Sift in the flour in and mix again.
6. Put a tablespoon of batter into each cupcake case. There should be enough for about 13 cupcakes, or 12 and some batter for you to lick up!
7. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes.
8. While the cakes are cooling, start to make the icing. Cream the butter until it is pale and fluffy. I whipped this butter, and it turned almost white! Which is absolutely perfect and just how you want it to be! (See picture below).
9. Add the icing sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice. Mix it together s-l-o-w-l-y at first so that icing sugar doesn't fly everywhere!!
10. When your cakes are cooled, decorate them with the icing, either piping it on, using a palate knife or a regular knife!

Look how white my icing is!

 


These are some cupcakes that I made ages ago, with Hundreds and Thousands sprinkles and edible glitter.



And a sneaky peek at my Easter cupcakes that are lemon!


Zoe x

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...