This is the best cake ever!!
I'm not a massive fan of big cakes, I normally prefer cupcakes, but I absolutely love this cake!! There is no other way of describing it, other than the Ultimate Chocolate Fudge Cake!!
This is another Nigella Lawson recipe, I saw it on one of her TV shows, where she describes it as the 'break-up cake', because you should be able to lick the bowl clean afterwards (maybe don't pour as much into the tins!) and that you should be able to eat the entire cake on your own!! Honestly, no one would have a problem with doing that, but it probably gets a bit sickly after more than 3 slices....You will have to find out!!
- 210g of plain flour
- 200g caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 150ml sour cream
- 175g butter, softened
- 40g cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 170g semi-sweet chocolate
- 85g butter, softened
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 125ml sour cream
- 310g icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Put all of the cake ingredients into a bowl and mix.
3. Pour the cake batter into two 8 inch tins and bake for 30 minutes.
4. Melt the chocolate for the icing and stir in the butter.
5. Pour the golden syrup and vanilla into the chocolate, then sift in the icing sugar. Mix together.
6. When the cakes have cooled, use 1/3 of the frosting on the bottom layer of the cake, then place the second layer of the cake onto the icing. (If the cakes are still warm, it will turn your icing all runny and ruin the cake)
7. Use another 1/3 of the frosting to decorate the top of the cake.
8. Then cover the edges in the frosting.
9. I like to grate some chocolate over the cake as a nice finishing touch.
I like to add some orange essence/juice/peel into the cake and the icing to make it into the Ultimate Chocolate Orange Cake!!
I will repost the recipe when I get some better, clearer pictures!!